Sunday, March 11, 2018

Momo - Nepalese Dumplings

Have you ever had a meal so good you thought about it for the rest of the day?

I was lying in bed, still a bit hungover from the night before, about to fall asleep, reviewing my day, when I realized I could not take my mind off these dumplings I had eaten earlier. It sounds silly but it’s true.

I was returning home from the super market, taking my normal route, when I was overcome with “hangover hunger”. I needed a quick bite, I needed to refuel. I looked around and spotted a tiny shop I pass everyday but have never gone in. The giant orange sign of the shop advertises bubble tea and "momo" with a picture of dumplings. I have passed this shop maybe 100 times but never cared to stop in, however, the dumplings always caught my eye. I decided today was the day I check it out.



I walk in. There’s an older gentleman to my left sitting on a stool, hunched over, eating dumplings on a counter by the window. There are seven or eight empty stools scattered around and a man behind the counter. I can tell by the way he’s staring at me that it’s been a slow day. I look above him at the menu on the wall (the way Chinese take-out restaurants have the menu with pictures above the counter.) Eight pictures and the first one is the dumplings, momo. Meat and dough. That’ll do. I order. 8 dumplings. 4 chicken, 4 beef. $6. I ask him what country the food is from. Nepal. I’ve never had Nepalese food, this excites me. 


I take a seat at the window counter on a stool and stare out into the street. It’s dull and grey outside, a gentle Sunday drizzle passes on. 2-3 minutes go by. Dumplings are ready. I walk to the counter and the man hands me a styrofoam plate with 8 steamed dumplings. He points to a red sauce bottle on the counter – “Spicy”. He points to a yellow sauce bottle next to it – “Special Sauce”. I grab the bottles and cover half my dumplings with spicy sauce and the other half with special sauce.

I stick the tiny plastic fork into the first dumpling and shove it in my mouth. It’s still piping hot from the steamer, I burn corners of my mouth and tongue but I've already committed and have too much pride to turn back, I chew and swallow. It’s delicious. Salty, doughy, juicy, meaty, spicy. I eat another just as fast. Then another. I pause to reflect on what I’m experiencing. You can only experience something for the first time once. First visit, first kiss, first bite. The dumplings are thin and slippery from the steam. Inside the ground meat is well seasoned but does not overwhelm. There is a bit of juice inside as well, the steam has cooked some of the fat off the meat and it tastes like warm soup broth. It’s the best part and feels like it’s melting my hangover away. The red sauce is a spicy chili sauce and goes very well with the dumplings. The “special sauce” tastes like a peanut/sesame sauce, but watered down. It’s okay. I finish the dumplings. I feel much better.


Trying a random restaurant for the first time with a hangover, getting my food within minutes, thoroughly enjoying it and feeling much better. This meal was a win. I thank the man behind the counter and tell him the food was very good. He smiles and says “come again” as he waves his arm toward himself as if inviting me back in already.

I leave satisfied and happy that I stopped by. I’ll be coming again soon.

BONUS: I came by again this weekend. This time I tried another dish called Samay Baji as well as the momo and some bubble tea. I chatted with the owner and chef who were incredible welcoming. The chef asked me what other types of dumplings I eat and I told him Chinese. He said there are way better, he's not wrong. I took a few more photos for you guys. Check them out.

Samay Baji (left) and dumplings (right) with spicy and special sauce.

Samay Baji consists of dried shaved white rice, crisped soy beans with cilantro, chilies and onions, BBQ chicken, cucumbers and peas in a spicy sauce, red chick peas and potatoes. The dish is very spicy.

Coconut Bubble Tea

1 comment: