Saturday, March 8, 2014





Here I am at the Grand Buddha statue in Leshan, Sichuan, China. I visited it during the National Day holiday, China's Independence day.

The site was truly spectacular and mind blowing. The size of this statue is incredible and the amount of tourists were of the same magnitude. For those that don't know, National Day in China is one of the biggest holidays and many people get up to a week vacation. The Grand Buddha is a popular site to visit during this time, and EVERYONE goes. This was the first time I was able to grasp just how many people live in China. The tourists in the video are 99% Chinese. I mean there were literally thousands of people lining up to see the statue either by boat or to walk to the bottom. In the video you see a line of people on the side of the rock. They are walking down to the bottom of the statue. That line of people continues back for A WHILE. If you don't want to wait in line then your only view is from the top, as I had in the video. Still a great scene, but man did these people really want to get to the bottom of this statue. Some of them were waiting 4 hours! I get that Buddha is their religious leader and there is a lot I don't understand about Buddhism, but they must really love this guy.

Overall it was an awesome experience. I hope my video captures the moment well.

1 comment: