Friday, March 7, 2014

This is a significant post, for me at least. It is significant because it was what I originally intended this blog to be about. Now it has grown into more than that, and I am happy that it has, but it started out as a small idea in my head. That idea was to explore China through true authentic Chinese food from the perspective of one particular foreigner. However, it wasn't only the food that I wanted to share, it was the culture surrounding the food. Where was the food being made, who was making it, why were they serving that particular dish, and what ingredients were being used were all questions I wanted to answer and share through the power of photography and writing.

For those who have been reading since day one and those who are just starting, I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am living and sharing it with you. [Small moment of reflection]. Now to the goods.

If you have been reading my blog since day 1, you should remember my second post about Chow Mien (if not, scroll all the way down and check it out). In the post I said that not only is this dish at this particular noodle shop one of my favorite dishes in China, but that I would post pictures of the actual shop later. I took the pictures as promised, but some of you doubted I would do it. So this post goes out to all the haters, keep a hatin' and I'll keep a postin'.


This is the outside of the noodle shop around 7pm. This is what your average noodle shop looks like from the outside. 
Here's a shot from the inside. Small chairs with no back and an A/C+Heater that isn't on. Looks like I'm the only one here tonight.
Oh look another customer! There's also a fridge with a few soda's, Chinese rice liquor, and other  foods for the kitchen. 
Here's the counter with the menu above it and what I believe is a dish steamer next to it. You can also see the kitchen behind it and a small window where the order taker yells commands at the chef.

This is what's on each table. Tissues, ground red chilies, an ash tray, dark vinegar and toothpicks. Pretty standard, although every shop has there own version of the hot chili sauce.
Right next to the counter is noodle maker, husband, father, and owner. ALL this dude does all day is make noodles and they are damn good noodles. On his table is flower, a big glob of dough, a big heavy metal spool that he uses the flatten the dough, and a knife to cut it into noodle slices. A true man of his craft.
Here is an interesting sequence I caught. The chef/wife didn't have any noodles in the kitchen so she came out and got some directly from him.
She's got the product and now she's off to the kitchen to make some magic happen.
Here's a shot from behind the glass looking into the kitchen. I believe the woman standing behind the chef is her mother.


A mother watches closely as her daughter cooks noodles.


A table in the kitchen with raw ingredients. Pork, cabbage, and rice. Also notice the stairs in the top right. Those stairs lead up to their apartment above the shop. Having an apartment above or behind a shop is very common in China. Really makes you realize how much a family like this depends on the success of their store.

Ah the final product. The delicious Chow Mien. This one looks and taste exactly like the one in my first post. Consistency is key.

1 comment:

  1. I love this series of shots. Nicely done. And as for the chow mein, it looks like it tastes great. I hope you've learned how to make it.

    ReplyDelete