Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Culture shock story of the day.


Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Chinese toilet.

I realize that many other countries in Asia and even Europe have these types of toilets, but for the purpose of this blog I am calling it the Chinese toilet. This was the first one I saw in China. I was in a bar with my foreign teacher friends and had to use the bathroom. So I walked into the room that I thought was the bathroom only to be confronted by a whole in the ground. "I must be in the wrong room," I thought. I left and went to our table and asked my friends where the bathroom was and they pointed to that door I just came out of. I was confused. "But there's no toilet in there...". With a childish grin on his face my friend Terry says, "That is the toilet. You have to squat." I was dumbfounded. "Squat?! Are you serious?!" I got over it and did my thing. Apparently that's the natural way our bodies are supposed to go to the bathroom. 



1 comment:

  1. hahaha that was a major culture shock for me as well! Oh squat toilets...

    ReplyDelete