Thursday, February 20, 2014


What: School canteen lunch

Where: Tianma International School, Zhuji, Zhejiang, China.

How Much: 6.80 RMB

Ingredients: White rice, fish, bok choy, unknown green vegetable with carrots and pork.

Description: I ate this today for lunch. I eat at my school's canteen everyday for lunch. Overall I really enjoy their food. There is always a wide variety of dishes to choose from, with several different types of vegetables, as well as pork, beef, or fish, and of course white rice. All the food is fresh, local, and the lunch ladies are always helping me learn the names of the dishes.

This meal in particular was good but did not have any of my favorites dishes. There is white rice, which is just white rice. Sometimes I put soy sauce on top, but not today. The fish is in pieces and boiled in a ginger sauce. Very delicious and soft. The sauce it was in was so good that I poured it over my rice. Bonus points for creativity. Fish like this in China always has bones, and lots of them, which makes eating it a task to say the least. If the bones are small enough I just chew them, however most of the time I have to pick them out with my fingers or spit them out. Sounds gross, but spitting out bones during a meal is common in China and is in no way seen as a rude or disgusting gesture. They eat all parts of an animal and love to eat the bones, hence there is a lot of spitting out of bones during meals. The bok choy (top right) is steamed. It has a crunchy root and a soft leaf. Tasty and an extremely popular dish in China. I do not know what the last dish is called. It is some kind of crunchy and sweet vegetable with pieces of pork and carrots for flavor. 

You may be wondering , why is there a spoon on his tray and no chopsticks? The chopsticks are not pictured and spoons are the only other utensil offered in the canteen. The Chinese don't use forks very often.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Do you guys like this stuff? If so I will continue to post daily pictures of my chinese meals, if not I'll still continue to post daily pictures of my chinese meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment